Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I'm missing a gene.

I'm missing the workout gene. You know those people who go for a 5 mile run because they "just love to run" ... "it clears their head". Or those people you see in kickboxing class in the front row because they like to admire their muscles in the mirror. I won't even try to comprehend the marathoners and triathletes. I can m-a-y-b-e see why someone might want to run ONE marathon or do A triathlon, just as a "set a goal, want to accomplish it thing" - however those people that do it as a hobby must have that gene I'm missing.

For me, exercise is a chore. For most of my workouts, I'm constantly thinking about how many minutes are left. Or what on my to-do list for the day could I be getting done in that hour. And this morning I was wondering how it is possible to yawn so many time while doing cardio. That just can't be good for your oxygen intake.

For those who have wondered where I've been, after Vegas (and recovering from a crazy work week) I got bronchitis. I should have seen it coming with my lowered immune system and all the creepy crawleys that are on the airplane (and all over my children!)

I'm sure there has been some study done on mice that tells us that we can alter by behavior what we are genetically inclined to be. I'm still holding out hope that I'll become one of those enthusiastic, smiley, workout people that jumps out of bed when I hear my alarm.

1 comment:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one! I've been doing "10-minute" trainer for a few months now... and it's usually a "chore". sigh. I just want to look and feel good!

    ReplyDelete