Sunday, August 30, 2009

Week 1 - Ugh.

So, the good news is I haven't quit before I really got started. (I won't blame anyone if you thought that was the case.) It is just hard to find the time to update this blog - - but I'm committed to it. In some freaky way, I actually think it is making me tie up my sneakers and keep this crazy p90x thing going.

Today is Day 7 of the workout - and though I'm no mathematician I do believe that means I have successfully made it through week 1. Hooray for me! Here's what I've been up to since my last post:
Day 4: Arms/Shoulders/Chest and Ab Ripper
Day 5: Yoga X
Day 6: Legs & Back and Ab Ripper
Day 7: Kenpo X

Day 7 is really supposed to be the "stretching" workout (yes, there is really a DVD for this) but since I missed Day 2 I skipped stretching and made up the other day.

First of all - I'm having trouble walking today. My legs and ass and basically everything from my bra-line down ache. Arms/Shoulders/Chest day wasn't so bad. Mostly because I really didn't use enough weight because I was scared to. Now that I know the workout I'm going to have to "female version of nut-up" and increase the poundage a bit. After you finish the Arms/Shoulders/Chest DVD you are then supposed to pop in the Ab Ripper DVD. Seriously? It did just that, rip my abs. Not into a six pack, but into a " holy F$%! it feels like my abs are ripping."

Then came yoga X. Again, there's the X at the end that I think is meant to intimidate me. And when you pop in the DVD and see it is 90 freaking minutes long, I wanted to quit before I got started. I've done yoga before, it wasn't anything too different than other classes I've taken, but I forget what an amazing workout it is. The last 30 minutes are stretching poses so it turned out not to be as horrible as I thought it would be. Plus, after doing yoga I always feel like a more enlightened person, in a granola kind of way.

Yesterday brought me to Legs & Back ... OOOMMMGGG! I didn't know there was that many variations of lunges. Thank goodness I'm starting to have a fondness for Tony cause if it weren't for his encouragement, I probably would have taken a few extra long water breaks. And as far as the "Back" part of the DVD, back exercises = different variations of pull ups. I can't do a pull up. They do show a modification where you can put a chair under your foot ... but that seemed like a disaster waiting to happen. The other option is looping an exercise band over the bar - which will be my variation moving forward. Seeing as the chin up bar was still in the box and required a bit more assembly than I anticipated, I just did some back exercises with weights while I watched all the muscly monkeys flexing their stuff. I promise I won't slack on this one this week. With all my exhaustion following the insane leg workout, I completely forgot that I was supposed to do Ab Ripper again ...

Today I woke up feeling a bit sore, but not as bad as I thought it would be following my lunge-a-ton. Oh ... but as the day wore on things changed. Then, this afternoon I did Kenpo X, which is basically kickboxing, but a very exhausting form of it. I don't know if the workout itself was super exhausting or the fact that my legs felt like lead from yesterday made it worse. Brace yourself for the minute and a half breaks that they call "breaks" so you get really excited about them but then about 20 seconds into the break you are doing jumping jacks and then plyo jumps. Tony has a great smile, but don't let him fool you, he a tricky one. And since I unintentionally flaked on Ab Ripper yesterday I was determined to ad it to the end of my workout today, but holy moly, I just couldn't. Instead, I popped in a shorter and less intense Ab workout from another exercise DVD. Hey, I get an A for effort, right?

One of the best things about this program is EVERY single DVD engages the core somehow. Which is one of the reasons why I couldn't bring myself to do the Ab Ripper today - even though you don't actually do an Ab workout everyday - there is so much ab work incorporated, your abs are constantly tired.

So, week 1 down - 11 more to go.
Jiggle Status: still jello-like, though I feel muscles I haven't felt in years

No comments:

Post a Comment